TRAVEL AWARE – STAYING SAFE AND HEALTHY ABROAD
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad.
For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information check www.gov.uk/travelaware
and follow @FCOtravel
Keep informed of current travel health news by visiting www.travelhealthpro.org.uk
The advice can change so check regularly for updates.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office also provides the following advice:
Before you depart:
- Take out appropriate travel insurance before travelling and make sure it covers you for all the activities you want to do.
- If you are travelling within Europe, ensure you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that hasn't expired and understand what it covers - you still need full travel insurance though! For your free EHIC card visit www.nhs.uk/ehic.
- Learn about the laws, customs and entry requirements of the country you're visiting and understand how they differ from home, check www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
- Check your passport is valid, fill out the emergency details, look after it while travelling and keep it in a safe place. Make sure you have all necessary visas.
- Make copies of important travel documents, take a picture or make copies and store them securely using a secure data storage site.
- Research vaccinations or any other medical requirements for your destination, and if necessary visit a travel health clinic before you travel. For medical advice visit travelhealthpro.org.uk.
- Tell your friends or family about your travel plans and where you're going and leave emergency contact details.
- Take enough money with you and have access to emergency funds.
- Ensure you take the contact details of the local British Consulate in case of emergencies - www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies.
- Understand what consular staff can and can't do to help British nationals travelling overseas, check www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide.
- Act responsibly, and be responsible for yourself when abroad.
ABTA has provided useful information on how to stay safe while swimming on holiday, see ABTA's website.
For further information on quad bike safety, please refer to ABTA's advice.